Logo

Chris Craft Lancer 23 350Q "repower" ignition issues?

slohog

Greeting everyone, hope you're all doing well!

Struggling with a repower on my 23 lancer inboard. I had a very reputable machine shop build a new 350 block (they built a engine for me 20 years ago).

We basically took the new 350 and bolted all the Chris Craft Q stuff on it, including the intake manifold. I chose not to use the original distributor as it was very tired, worn, and I thought I would have a better peace of mind with new. I went with a Sierra SIE18-26311-2

The problem: Run great for 30 minutes then starts misfiring and if continued to be pushed, will eventually stall. If you back it off, it can be limped home idling. Next day, starts right up and runs great again and does the same thing.

I've chased the gremlins the best I can, switching out every part of the ignition system one at a time with the same results (except the distributor).

In the process I discovered that the coil Sierra provided was incorrect. That coil was an MSD Blaster 8222. That coil is 45k Volts with a 4.7k ohm secondary coil.

I was finally able to get Sierra to confirm that the module that came with the distributor was a Mallory 609. After speaking with Mallory, they said the proper coil is a Mallory 29219 with a .8 ohm external ballast resistor. The 29219 is a 40k Volt and a 10K secondary (quite different than the MSD).

I thought it was finally straightened out but sadly, it seemed like it was starting to complain again after 40 minutes under load. Going to get it in the driveway and just verify the timing one last time but, I'm starting to run out of options... outside of trying a different distributor or even going back to an OEM with points... or possibly finding a replacement for the low profile 350q intake.

Hoping someone has some thoughts.

The problem: Run great for 30 minutes then starts misfiring and if continued to be pushed, will eventually stall. If you back it off, it can be limped home idling. Next day, starts right up and runs great again and does the same thing.

Ayuh,...... Sounds like a fuel delivery issue, rather than an ignition issue to me,......

Back