Logo

1999 Mercruiser 5.0 replacement cost

Firescooby

I haven't gotten a price yet from repair shop.

What costs should I expect to have the entire motor replaced?

Back story: Shop says 2 cylinders have tuliped valves, they said that most likely there is some lower end damage as well and recommend motor replacement.

Just trying to find out what sort of costs to expect they might come back with.

No matter what they quote you, compare the price of a new (not refurb/rebuilt) factory all up engine. Yes you can get a long block and pay shop rates to reuse (on average) 20+ yo parts, but if the boat is worth keeping ( IMHO, not all are)... consider an engine that comes with a warranty that won't get you involved in "finger pointing" when something goes wrong. The shop labor rates on a new all up engine swap are minimal... If you are going to keep the boat for awhile, consider a FWC kit.... this kit is one of the few things IMHO that are worth an add on (aftermarket) rather than "factory". Compare prices.
I've done this on two of my boats. I think that you get better value from dollars spent on a new engine than on labor spent to reuse old parts.

Last edited:
No matter what they quote you, compare the price of a new (not refurb/rebuilt) factory all up engine. Yes you can get a long block and pay shop rates to reuse (on average) 20+ yo parts, but if the boat is worth keeping ( IMHO, not all are)... consider an engine that comes with a warranty that won't get you involved in "finger pointing" when something goes wrong. The shop labor rates on a new all up engine swap are minimal... If you are going to keep the boat for awhile, consider a FWC kit.... this kit is one of the few things IMHO that are worth an add on (aftermarket) rather than "factory". Compare prices.
I've done this on two of my boats. I think that you get better value from dollars spent on a new engine than on labor spent to reuse old parts.

What's an FWC kit?

Fresh Water Cooling. Kind of misleading as it means the engine is full of antifreeze not seawater when running. Has a heat exchanger that acts like a radiator in your car.

What's an FWC kit?

As said above, it is rather misleading. There is nothing "fresh" about Ethylene Glycol and distilled H2O.

FWC is an old term that began many years ago when river/lake water (fresh water) was used for engine coolant.
The abbreviation FWC is still used today in a misnomer fashion.
The correct term is actually "Closed Cooling System".

Nonetheless, a Closed Cooling System is well worth the expense..... especially for a new engine that has not yet seen salt water.

Back