Logo

1998 Mercury 150XL - Heat

Kingfish22

I've been battling this for a while now... any advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Problem: Not enough water pressure (doesn’t get any higher than 12 psi on the gauge even at WOT) and boat runs at 200 degrees when mid to WOT. I have both temp and pressure gauges. Alarm has not gone off (assuming it goes off around 204 degrees or so?. Engine runs at 160-180 degrees at low and idle speeds. Seems to be able to run all day long a low cruising (which made me think it was the poppet valve). I have changed water pump (all new), have changed tstats (all new), have changed poppet value (all new). Last year I ran Barnacle Buster through the system b/c of overheating issues… didn’t really seem to solve the issue either.

I am assuming there is a blockage somewhere, perhaps the water jacket? How can I diagnose what and where the issue might be? Should I attempt to remover the head cover and check for any blockages around the cylinders? Is there any way to figure out where the blockage might be within the system before I start trying to tear everything apart? Again, any advice appreciated!

Back