Logo

2012 Mercury 90hp stalls after running 5-10 minutes

coop0775

I have a 2012 Mer. 90hp 4-stroke. It starts immediately and runs great but after about 5-10 minutes it starts running rough then shuts down. It'll immediately start back up but runs very rough. If I let it sit for 10-15 minutes it'll start back and run great then does the same thing. You can hear a slight light whistling sound coming from the air intake start and then seconds later is when the trouble starts. The sound gets louder as the motor gets worse. I've changed the fuel filters and the lift pump but still having the problem. The boat did sit up for a couple years without being started but after swapping out the battery it started right up and ran on the water fine for several hours before the problem started. I'm at a complete loss.

Try loosening the gas cap to allow air in, if the tank vent is restricted the fuel supply will stop as soon as the tank vacuum is the same as the fuel pumps pull. I also hear that the internal lining of fuel hoses can come loose and restrict fuel flow.

Last edited:
Back