Logo

Johnson 115 timing help

Jldix

I have a jonson 115 and when I put the timing light on it on number 1 cyl its showing the timing Mark's in rear of fly wheel 180 off and it does this while running?

What are you calling the #1 cylinder ?-------Top on starboard side ?------Bring that cylinder to tdc and verify your timing marks and timing pointer.----Did you have the coils off the motor and made sure they are on the correct cylinder ?

Just replace cdi box took it out and it burned out number one so I just put a new cdi on it again got spark all cylinders wanted to check timing with light and its showing on the rear of fly wheel

Runs ok at idle and I can get a full trottle out of the water but when I put it in the water it does not rev past 3 thousand rpm this is why I was trying to set timing to carbs but cant do that when shows 180 off the pointer ? Was runing good did a turn and and hit my wake and boat cut out lost power since then I changed a cdi and coil burned up a new cdi just put another one on last night got spark back all cyl and I'm about to go try to test all wires with timing light maby some one crossed one but I do not believe so I also checked tdc on num one last night to see if it shared a key dead nuts tdc so I'm still at a loss?

Well at it again put timing light on all cyl wires was sho I had a wire crossed so I switched those engine started running great timing light was on where it should be turned off boat to check things over and when I restarted it suddenly started running like ass now showing this timing Mark's 180 off is there a certain wire from cdi to under fly wheel that controls this 180 off situation that re occured on its own

Start the motor and let it idle.------Pull one sparkplug lead off at a time.-----Report what happens.-----If spark is out by 180 degrees the motor would not run at all !!

Just did that top left wire is the only one in the ball park of the gauge it runs but like ass and timing Mark's for number one and cyl under it same 180 off but yes its runs but like ass

It ran good timing Mark's were on for like ten mins of run I shut off start up a few mins later and the timing been off since rear of fly wheel from indicator

Can the timing control under fly wheel be messed up and still run? It's kind of the only option I have left checked and changed everything else several times

It will start and run on 2 cylinders out of the water.----It will rev up fine on 2 cylinders out of the water.------Means nothing.-----Did the motor run fine for you last year / last month ?----What work was done on the motor ?-----What trouble shooting has been done other than -----" it must be the timing "---- assumption ?

Ran fine last week had a coil burn out then a cdi box replaced it twice then it ran fine for about ten mins timing was good shut off start then was running like trash checked the timing it jumps 180 off with no changes so seems to be something controlling the timing and or pulse coil is messed up

Back