Logo

Johnson 115 timing help

Just put light on the orange wire for num one shows it on rear of fly wheel if num 3 is top left than that is the closer one to the tdc Mark's when it fires but still not on its past

#1 is the very top cylinder on the starboard side.-----The one below it is #3------Now on the port side the top is #2 and the one below is # 4-----I believe there is something very simple wrong with this motor.-----But you are running around with some wild assumptions and ideas.----Therefor I am going to step aside.

Ha ok well what is it then ? Still waiting I guess ? I'm shure it some kind of electrical problem ? From what read and understand is the cdi and stator controll timing and I've replaced cdi so symptoms tell me it's a stator problem??????????? Ive worked on lots of two and four stoke engines I'm just new to boat engines guessing other than a problem with the stator only thing I could think is a bad wire to or from stator which I havent found I did find a break in the gray wire casing from power terminal on mtr but as I'm new to boats I'm unsure what this wire is? But it's the only bad wiring I can find so far

Dude,slow down.
Now that we have determined witch cylinder is #1(top starboard) is the #1spark plug hooked to the top coil on the starboard side? If yes,follow the orange wire from that coil to the connector and tell me the color of wire it connects to.

Thats good! Now at both power packs you will find a connector with a black wire with yellow tracer,pull that wire out of both port and starboard powerpack connection. CAUTION you have just disconnected the ignition system from key switch.if you start motor you willNOT beable to turn it off at keyswitch.chock/prime it to death.
Now start motor,whats the timing light say,hows it run?

Just put light on the orange wire for num one shows it on rear of fly wheel if num 3 is top left than that is the closer one to the tdc Mark's when it fires but still not on its past

#3 is not top left.
#3 is bottom right (starboard) cylinder.

What happens when you hook the timing light to the #3 cylinder? Curious.

Sorry on last post if number 3 is bottom right they both show the timing Mark's in the same place direct opposite of the indicator

Key is good orderd a stator cause it's got me stumped only reason I say stator is it ran good timing on then jump all out so that's my last try in what controls the timing power packs good throwing spark all cylinders seems to only wanna run with the start lever advanced

Well update it was the timing advance unit as I suspected I did end up shering the fly wheel key but that was not the problem because I put new key in was still off so. I had a 77 engine total different electronics so I changed everything to the 77 unit to the 79 and today had the chance to put in the lake and test and now everything is fine . Ran it for a hr in the water no trouble!! Thannks to all the people who responded and tried to help I appreciated the help

Back