Logo

mercury 25 4 stroke efi no start

I have a 2007 mercury 25hp 4 stroke EFI. engine was running great then died like it ran out of gas. fuel filter is clean and is getting gas. I found the fuel pump is getting power but not ground. If I back probe the ground wire and ground it to the block it will run. The computer was replaced 1-1/2 years ago for the same issue. Do I need another computer or will it be ok to ground the wire to the block and run it? If computer can I get one or does it have to go to the dealer for programming? Why is this thing going through computers?

Hi I am curious did you ever figure out anything on this topic? I have 5 of these motors with the same problem. I purchased a new computer for one of them and it lasted about 15 minutes, after that I went and pulled a computer off of another boat and has been running ever since. It doesn’t make any sense. But like you said it’s always the ground side of the high pressure fuel pump. I tried grounding it to the block, it works great until you pull it back in neutral then it will stall and not restart until you bleed fuel pressure off.

Back