Logo

15 hp Evinrude model 15704M Shift rod grommet replacement

Mickeyfinn

Hi all, I noticed the grommet is wore so much that a lot of water is squirting out. The exhaust housing has been removed and want to install correctly before I replace with a new one. Can I squeeze in from the bottom of the rod or must I remove the upper rod from the powerhead area and insert grommet first? I rather not do the latter unless it is the only way.

According to Seloc manual there is the small o-ring on top of the seal that is missing. If I replace should that resolve some of the water coming out of the shift rod grommet? Note that it has a six inch exhaust housing extension for long shaft.

I've never changed that grommet without removing the shift shaft. Gotta remove recoil and carb to get to top of shaft cotter pin. That's not to say you can't give it a try.

Last edited:
According to Seloc manual there is the small o-ring on top of the seal that is missing. If I replace should that resolve some of the water coming out of the shift rod grommet? Note that it has a six inch exhaust housing extension for long shaft.

Presumably the grommet you refer to is #42 in the diagram below

Where is the O ring ?

What are the consequences of not replacing the grommet

40867.gif

You do not have to remove the shift shaft to replace that? Why are you replacing it? It is only there to keep the shift from rubbing against the exhaust housing, it is not a water seal. Are you running on muffs? Not uncommon for water to come.out there. If you must replace it put some Vaseline on it to to help it slide in.

Thanks Mr. Scott. Will try that next time, but your right, they are not a big deal anyway. I see it in the parts illustration sent by Sir Vic as #42.

Back