Logo

1988 40 HP Evinrude shifts very hard

Teebutch

I have a 40 HP 1988 that has been laid up for 10-15 years and it brakes the leaver that is plastic. I drained the old gear lube out that did not have lot but no water in it. It takes a lot of force to put in gear and back. Any thoughts as to why it is hard to shift and by me changing the lube do you think it might work it way in and get to shifting easier or does it need to go in the shop? Also I am running the motor when I try to shift it.

I have a 40 HP 1988 that has been laid up for 10-15 years and it brakes the leaver that is plastic. I drained the old gear lube out that did not have lot but no water in it. It takes a lot of force to put in gear and back. Any thoughts as to why it is hard to shift and by me changing the lube do you think it might work it way in and get to shifting easier or does it need to go in the shop? Also I am running the motor when I try to shift it.

You dont say if your motor has remote controls or is a tiller model with a local gearshift lever

If it has remote controls start, as already suggested, by disconnecting the shift cable to determine if its the remote that is stiff or the linkages within the motor.

If it is a tiller model with a local gear shift lever look at the pivot point for the lever itself ( it has a grease nipple but if not regularly lubricated this is the most likely point at which it has become stiff to operate) also the unlabeled shift lever. Both ringed in red on the attached diagram (click to enlarge)
evinrude40 gearshift.jpg

Last edited:
Back