Logo

2006 Mercury 9.9 four stroke - Gear issues

Elvebåt

Hello!

I have some problems with my 2006 mercury 9.9 four stroke. I am struggling with getting the engine to go to neutral. In neutral there is a clicking sound from the dog clutch rubbing on the reverse gear. It seems like there is not enough space between the forward gear and the reverse, so the dog clutch has very little gap to stay in neutral. It’s like the reverse gear is too far forward in the gear house. I took it apart, it I can’t seem to find out what is wrong. See the pictures as well. Pardon my English..

4DCBBE13-472A-4147-9B07-123BA7F1C324.jpeg48864C57-45C9-4244-914C-11E724225601.jpeg4417B55A-DA26-4A84-8067-B408E74FEEC6.jpegBFC781B8-0FBB-4D53-88CB-FDAFA562B4DD.jpeg

Last edited:
It is a rather small gap which means that the shift cam needs to be positioned very accurately. Can you work the shifter slowly and get to where there is neutral? I wonder if the shift shaft that holds the cam is bent.

Does this help? How does washer #11 look and adjacent surfaces?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200809-082605.jpg
    Screenshot_20200809-082605.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 65
It is a rather small gap which means that the shift cam needs to be positioned very accurately. Can you work the shifter slowly and get to where there is neutral? I wonder if the shift shaft that holds the cam is bent.

Hi! I can work the shifter to neutral, but it is a very fine adjustment before it catches on either the forward or the reverse gear. When I check how the shift shaft sits through the gear house, it seems like the shift shaft is located halfway between neutral and forward to get the dog clutch to neutral. Maybe you’re right about the shift shaft. I will take it out and examine it.

Does this help? How does washer #11 look and adjacent surfaces?

the washer number 11 looks fine, so does the adjacent surfaces in the prop shaft and the reverse gear. The prop shaft has a bit of play forward and afterwards, but when it is mounted it is pushed rearwards because of the spring inside it.

In this picture look for wear on part 1, or tip of shift slug. Also if the aft bearing, which actually pushes the boat, is loose.....you will have end play and that will effect shift dog positioning.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200809-091744.jpg
    Screenshot_20200809-091744.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
In this picture look for wear on part 1, or tip of shift slug. Also if the aft bearing, which actually pushes the boat, is loose.....you will have end play and that will effect shift dog positioning.

What is the aft bearing? Is that number 19 in your first post?

Sorry....bearing #2. Dah! My mistake. However bearing 19 must also be considered of course, but loaded as a thruster when reversing, eh?

Last edited:
Hi! I can work the shifter to neutral, but it is a very fine adjustment before it catches on either the forward or the reverse gear. When I check how the shift shaft sits through the gear house, it seems like the shift shaft is located halfway between neutral and forward to get the dog clutch to neutral. Maybe you’re right about the shift shaft. I will take it out and examine it.

Has the lower unit been down for a water pump replacement or such? The shifter could just be out of time.

Has the lower unit been down for a water pump replacement or such? The shifter could just be out of time.

No, it hasn’t. But it did hit a rock under water. I’m guessing that’s the cause if the problem. I shall check the gear rod to see if it is bent or out of place/time

Back