Logo

Merc 3.0 Alpha One Preventing Belt wear

Jazzy1952

A year ago, I took my boat out for a quick ride and when I noticed that my belt was so worned out that fell off the pulleys when I touched it. I changed the belt and I ran the boat for a while with no problem. That belt that failed was less than a year old which makes me wonder what the cause. What should I consider the possible reason of this premature wear? I believe the belt was properly tensioned but I wonder that perhaps the pulleys are misaligned. How do I check this and anything else that could be the cause. The boat is running but since I am going to take it out on a longer journey I want to assure that I don't have any unexpected issues while under way.

Last edited:
Put a straightedge against the main drive pulley (on vibration damper) and see that the other pulleys line up.

Also, poke the belt at the mid-point of its span. It should deflect about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch. If not, tighten/ loosen the belt adjustment until it does (it will probably need tightening).

Jeff

typically, rapid belt wear on a marine V-belt is due to the pulley(s) being corroded....the telltale is a line of 'belt dust' on the bilge floor in line with the belt...

the fastest way to remedy the issue is pulley(s) replacement...though some are getting real hard to find....some have had luck blasting them and then getting them coated....

Back