Logo

How to check if speed is good on 20hp mariner outboard motor

Hi all friend

I have 14.4 foot boat with 20hp 2 stroke mariner outboard motor, how i can check the speed if based on 20hp,

Recently i took boat after changing the trigger, for fishing and use my cellphone software for speed and got 11km/hr. is this ok or ahould be more... How i can check

Thanks

I have a 14 foot deep v aluminum (Princecraft Fisherman) with the console installed (used to be an option).

With two of us in the boat, plus our junk, pushing it with a 15 horse Mariner (1991 model), on calm water I get a hair over 30 km/hr. Unless your boat is a very heavy fiberglass model, that may be waterlogged, you should be eaisily geting about 3 times the speed out of a 20...

I have a 14 foot deep v aluminum (Princecraft Fisherman) with the console installed (used to be an option).

With two of us in the boat, plus our junk, pushing it with a 15 horse Mariner (1991 model), on calm water I get a hair over 30 km/hr. Unless your boat is a very heavy fiberglass model, that may be waterlogged, you should be eaisily geting about 3 times the speed out of a 20...

So what should i check. Mine is 14.5 aluminum sylvan boat. Please advice

Last edited:
The first thing to check is are the throttle plates wide open when they should be. Second since you changed the trigger I would see if the timing is correct.

Back