Logo

1968 900

SmoketownMarty

So i come across a 68' merc 900....looked pretty well, but been hanging on the boat for a couple of years ( out of the water). Did a compression check on it and was 150PSI or a touch better on all 4 cylinders. did not have enough to try to start it as the wiring was iffy....oh and it had a 2 blade prop.

What do ya'll think it is worth??

Was this a 4 cylinder 900 model ???-----Are you 100% sure ?----Serial # or pictures of motor and decals by chance.---I do not see a 4 cylinder 900 model on any list.

Last edited:
If the year is correct they didn't make a 90 that year - in 68 there was a 50 (4 cylinder), a 65 (4 cylinder) then the next model in the line-up was a 100 horse (6 cylinder) with "nothing" in between as far as HP went.

So if it's a 68 you have either a 50 or 65 horse.

And since it's not "restored" and has been sitting, to get a value I would take the weight of it, multiply it by the current scrap price per pound for aluminum and divide by 2 (to get a discount for your trouble if it can't be repaired).

ahhh jeeeze 1969 800 not the actual engine just a photo
fetch

Great motors. Expect bad wiring and lower unit contamination. Check lower unit carefully. Compression is dynamite. Might not be scrap. Gotta be careful with wiring.....you might start toasting parts if you don't inspect first.

Back