Logo

Default Help ID Johnson 90 VRO (many pics)

We really want to get this thing running. First step is knowing year/model number, but there is no identification tag.(there is a number on the welch plug). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

After multiple attempts to post pictures, and failing, I'm attaching a link to a google slide presentation. Hopefully that works. I'm trying Rick

https://docs.google.com/presentation...it?usp=sharing

Default Re: Help ID Johnson 90 VRO (many pics)

That number on the welch plug should be your serial number. Decode the number. The number to the far right is the model run or suffix. The next two letters to the left are the part of the code that determine the year. Johnson Evinrude uses a simple code if the outboard is a 1980 to the present model. It is INTRODUCES. I=1, N=2,T=3,R=4,O=5,D=6,U=7,C=8,E=9,S=0.For example, a 1999 mode would show xxxxxEEx. The EE is 99 or 1999. This is only for a 1980 model year or after 1980.

BTW, The link just sent me to your google sign in page.

sorry about that. hopefully the pictures work now

Best guess is 1987
    Pappys Sales and Service
    Owner and Factory Certified Technician
    Former racer KDBA (Kentucky Drag Boat Association)

Anywhere from a 1988 to 1995 model ----Based on powerpack and big red plug in wiring harness.

The previous owner, a friend, suggested 1988. Then 1992. I'm guessing the number on the welch plug is no further help? Thank you!

That is a serial # ----No help to me and the powerhead may have been replaced.

Is 88-95 close enough to move ahead with repairs? And consult a service manual? Or does an 8 year range pose a problem? Ha. Might have no choice. thanks. rick

There is not much difference from one year to the next.-----What repairs are you contemplating.------What is your motor doing / not doing.----What trouble shooting has been done.----My suggestion is always the same on outboard motors.----Start with a compression test.----Minor difference in crankshaft / driveshaft length / fitment around the 91 / 92 year.

Looks almost identical to my 1998 SPL. What's it doing?

I do not believe the 98 model used the big red plug on the wiring harness.-----Yes these motors all look essentially the same from 1974 to 1998.----In fact they use the same size pistons over that entire span !

Ok. Here is the scenario. We bought it from a reliable friend. He says it has been rebuilt. there is "125" in paint on each cylinder. And, it ran awesome. The 17' center console flew. We went on vacation 2 weeks ago, and rented a place with a pier. First day: it ran glorious. Next morning, at 5:30am, it wouldn't start. Kept cranking, but no fire. Ugh. Went to the only marine dealer in town. Pulled the red plug. Still no spark. Replaced the power pack. Still no spark. Put it on a trailer and brought it back. Brought it to a boat mechanic. He thinks it is the stator or timer base. But, he threw out $1150 as a cost to chase it down/replace ignition parts, and suggested we should not go that route but consider a repower. He tested the coils and said they were good. The power pack is new. So now it is back in our court. From when it ran, it is a healthy motor, it seems. But right now, it sits. I purchased the nut to pull the flywheel. But I'm sort of guessing now. We are pretty mechanical. Just new to these engines. Any help would be awesome. I guess i need a step by step diagnostic strategy. Maybe? Bless you. Rick

My advise is always the same on these.----Load test the battery.----Check the battery cables and connections.----Take the starter apart for inspection and an ohm test.------All easy to do and NO MONEY SPENT.----If motor does not crank fast it simply will not fire up.----And most replies to that are.------" My motor cranks just fine "

ok. sounds wise. I took the battery in. It failed. I bought a new one. Took emery cloth to clean both sides of all connectors at the battery. They are good. It didn't start. Then I got run off by a lightning storm. I'll test the starter next. And look around for any bad looking wires. The solenoid is new (but I guess nothing is ruled out at this point in the game). Thank you. Rick

good luck on this ****ed up site. i get nowhere but answer bull**** questions. this site sucks ass. i more to do than type inbull**** that im a human. **** this place. i was looking for info. on a 88 johnson vro. **** it. took me 2 hours to be member. im gone from this bull****.

Adios

I need a little instruction on how to take the starter apart and do an ohm test. I'm sure i can take it off. Then what? I spent about 2 hours tonight dinking with it. The solenoid is new, so all connections there are, I think, solid. Ditto the battery. I found the 20amp fuse. It was good. I checked the power pack wiring, which seems right. Pass along any wisdom on the starter and next steps. Thank you. Rick

?---Just 2 screws and the starter comes apart.-----Use a digital ohmeter to take a reading from the commutator to the shaft.----Should read infinity.---Use a paint scraper or piece of sheet metal with a slot 7/16" wide to get brushes into position for re-assembly.----I install new brushes at $6.00 a set.

thanks. I'll get to it soon and report back. I so appreciate the help.