Logo

Proper seating depth of pinion bearing on 1980 30 hp evinrude

Lawman0373

I am working on this 1980 30 HP gearcase , I have totally disassembled the gear case and found the pinion gear with broken teeth and the forward gear with one chipped tooth. I have purchased new pinion and forward gear along with new bearings and seal kit. How do I ensure correct engagement.of pinion gear and forward gear?

Check locating surface of pinion thrust bearing set-up.----If damaged you will need to replace gearcase.---No shimming needed with these very precise parts.

Pinion thrust bearing will present correct pinion depth with correct washer. Mic washer to be sure it's uniform. If case is damaged from washer action, then you may need to replace case. That wear will be obvious to the ***** eye. Working on a 1981 25 horse right now. I have welded cases and machined back down over the years, but you need another good case for measurements.....they have to be exact or the gears will fail. Backlash can be easily measured with these split housings to make sure your good to go.

That should be a one piece housing an as Racer posted if case thrust surface damed junk it. Biggest pain is reassembling prop shaft balls

Back