Logo

Mercruiser Alpha One High pitched squealing sound

k4rrc9

I have 1995 Sea Ray Signature 180V with a Mercruiser Alpha One 5.0L. The past few times I have put it the water, trim it all the way down with the rear trim button, and start the motor. It starts right up, and I exit the dock just fine. As soon as I get a little ways away, i have this high pitched squealing sound coming from the dash (similar to that of a golf cart reverse buzzer, ANNOYING!) and it will not shut off. I had an oil change/tune-up done and a water pump put in, plus it has a new starter and bellos. Once person said it was the depth finder, but I was in VERY deep water when it happened. Another said to check the trim oil, but it looked full, but topped it off anyway. I also added to the power steering fluid, because it was below the line. Any ideas what this sound might be? I have not taken it back out since I added the fluids, but thought ! I would see if anyone had any ideas.

Its the engine ALARM.... on most non fuel injected engines it is limited to: too hot, low oil pressure... on some Mercs, low coolant water pressure. Check owners manual for that engine... If you don't have it, many owners manuals are available on line for down load... be cautious of "free" sites as many are just looking to get your personal data.

I have 1995 Sea Ray Signature 180V with a Mercruiser Alpha One 5.0L. The past few times I have put it the water, trim it all the way down with the rear trim button, and start the motor. It starts right up, and I exit the dock just fine. As soon as I get a little ways away, i have this high pitched squealing sound coming from the dash (similar to that of a golf cart reverse buzzer, ANNOYING!) and it will not shut off. I had an oil change/tune-up done and a water pump put in, plus it has a new starter and bellos. Once person said it was the depth finder, but I was in VERY deep water when it happened. Another said to check the trim oil, but it looked full, but topped it off anyway. I also added to the power steering fluid, because it was below the line. Any ideas what this sound might be? I have not taken it back out since I added the fluids, but thought ! I would see if anyone had any ideas.

Have you checked the level of your trim fluid. It has an alarm. It's the one noise I am familiar with similar to my alpha one.

Is that the thing that would to the left of the engine when in the boat, mounted on the floor? It looked full, but I topped it off anyway.

Back