Logo

Coil Help

Dopey39

Hello,

I'm chasing down a problem with my 91 75 hp, ELPTO. I did a resistance check on all three of my coils and I get the same number from all three, 248 ohms. The service manual says that resistance should be between 800 and 1100 ohms between the coil tower and neg terminal.

The motor is new to me and it looks like the three coils replaced prior to me having it. Originally I did replace the switch box as I had no spark in the middle cylinder and now I do after replacing it. So I guess my question is, could all three coils be bad with the same resistance number at the same time or do you think the coils were replaced with an improper type? The multimeter is set at the 2000 ohm scale.

IMG_1472.jpg

Thanks,

Do you have spark from any of the coils? If you do then the number you are seeing can't be too bad, fyi, the resistance changes with temperature so book values only apply at the stated temperature. Don't complain about success go enjoy the lake.

Last edited:
Ok, since it seems to run ok till you start using a lot of fuel check the usual suspects, restricted tank vent (not high likelihood but) old fuel hoses that are coming apart inside, old fuel filter, fuel pump in need of rebuild and so on.

Back