Logo

Tilt trim not lowering but trim motor running

riopga

Regular Contributor
1990 90 HP Johnson. Works fine going up, but doesn't move downward even though I hear the trim motor running, and I can then go back and push on the engine and it will go down the amount I have run the down button for.
In other words if I hold the down button for a long time the engine will travel a good distance down when I push on it. If I run the down button a short amount if time it will only go down a short distance.
There isn't a lot of resistance when I push it down, but there is some.

Oil level???
Over time the seals dry/seize on the shaft.
WD or 30w on the shaft.
Then cycle it up and down.

The regular maint. should keep it lubed.
I boat in salt water.
I also use White Lithium in a spray can.

This WL is also good for linkages and any moving parts.
The steering needs some kind of lube, I use 30w on the
exposed shaft and turn it in and out as you add lube.

Undo the big nut and expose the old grease, then add oil.

My Johnson 150 was doing the same thing but when going up. I could lower it, but it would not lift without some forceful persuasion. Than it stopped going down as well. Long story short, I had to replace rebuild the unit (replaced all the seals). There is a kit that has all the items needed. Been running great since. Hardest part with the rebuilding process I think was removing the cylinder caps.

Check the fluid level first before moving on to more expensive work. Than I suggest coating the ram shaft with hydraulic oil (same as used for the tilt trim unit) and as you push the motor down, watch to see if there are any air bubbles as the shaft goes in as that will indicate the seals are leaking. Good Luck

Thanks Jerryjerry and shorefun, I put a little Marvel mystery oil on the shaft and that was that. For once, an easy fix!

Hi, sorry for delayed response.

And yes, that is correct. My tilt and trim has three ram cylinders. Two of the three bubbled as I physically moved the ram shafts. The oil help to lubricate the shafts and seals to ease the movement and it showed the seals were leaking as the ram shaft pushed in forcing air out of the cylinder

Sorry, I haven't been on here in a while so I hadn't seen the question. The center shaft that connects to the engine.

There is also a Screw on the port side o believe that is meant to turn if the trim is stuck. It's a manual release valve. Possibly it's partially open. Turn clockwise to shut. Just a possibility.

Back