Logo

2011 90hp Optimax 2 Stroke (V175 Tracker) - trim issue

Fengler19

There is a long description below of troubleshooting, but the short story is that by fiddling with what I believe is the trim limit sensor (see pic) an issue with the trim up not working and blowing the 15A fuse (see pic, there’s a red arrow with a 20A fuse as that’s all I ran out of 15A troubleshooting) went away. I’m confused as to why, see below. Motor serial number is 1B848704

I recently bought a 2011 V175 Tracker with. 90hp two stroke Optimax, and ran across an issue with the trim. This only occurred when trying to trim up. I had no issues testing prior to purchase and trimmed the motor down to look at it, no issues, but the next morning when I went to trim up it blew the 15A fuse in in the top left position with the fuses in the cowling. This boat only has trim switches at both the throttle and on the cowling, and this problem was repeatable at both locations (you can’t hear the relay open when you hit the switch, it pops the fuse after about 3-5 seconds of holding it down and nothing happening). I disconnected the leads coming out of the trim motor (after the relays) and tested the motor with jumper cables - worked both directions with no issues. I then removed the relays and verified they were not faulty with a voltmeter and applying 12v to the correct posts. At this point I assumed it was a short and tried looking for bare spots on wires, checked both switches for proper function, etc. After almost giving up, I followed the blue wire up to what I think is the trim tilt limiter (see pic, circled red). When I tilted that a bit, all of a sudden the trim up started working. At first you could reproduce the issue buy tilting it level and trim up would not work. But after fiddling with it for awhile, it now doesn’t matter how this is positioned, the trim up works as expected. There’s a calibration wire on it, I don’t know if by playing with it too much it screwed that’s up and it needs to be calibrated or if it’s just faulty and needs to be replaced.

Questions - does it make sense that an issue with the trim tilt limiter would blow the 15a fuse? Second, for this motor, what is the function of having this switch? I thought it should only activate when using trim at the throttle, but the issue was both at the cowling and at the throttle. Third, where do all the other wires go (I included a pic of the backside of it where the wires go in). I understand the blue wires, but why would you have all the other wires?

Thanks for any help. This is my first boat and the last day has been a crash course. Would love to learn more. 67531B1B-1B54-4BC7-A570-931A86AC92A3.jpeg27DF3E5D-2184-4938-B118-36A8B1141B3B.jpg363594DA-2C25-4933-BEAC-12BD0BE5648F.jpeg

A factory shop manual can be one of the cheapest tools in your box. I don't have a wiring diagram but I will recommend using a 15 amp circuit breaker to test until the issue is resolved.

Back