Logo

Fuse keeps blowing

Fuses typically blow due to a short to a ground. Excessive current flow. From a wire carrying battery power to a ground source. Could be chafed to another wire or could be chafed to a ground.

Yamaha parts catalog indicates a 20 amp fuse is used.

Fuses typically blow due to a short to a ground. Excessive current flow. From a wire carrying battery power to a ground source. Could be chafed to another wire or could be chafed to a ground.

Yamaha parts catalog indicates a 20 amp fuse is used.

There a black wire on the rectifier that’s is getting hot and if I unhook it my fuse will blow.
the black wire runs from rectifier to ground.
is my rectifier bad?
is my black wire bad?

There a black wire on the rectifier that’s is getting hot and if I unhook it my fuse will blow.
the black wire runs from rectifier to ground.
is my rectifier bad?
is my black wire bad?

I unhooked my control box and my trim motor to see if they where the one with short but still blowing fuses. Everything I’m down to is this black wire on rectifier block. I wish I could find a wiring schematic for this boat

Not for the boat but a wiring diagram for the motor can be found in the applicable Yamaha service manual.

Bad ground connections will rarely ever short to ground.

Pretty simple system. Battery cable red wire to the starter relay. From there via red wire to the fuse. Across the fuse to another red wire to the R/R output terminal. From there a red wire runs to the 7/10 pin connector at the front of the motor.

Disconnect the 7/10 pin connector. Install a fuse. If the fuse blows with the 7/10 pin connector disconnected the problem would seem to be on the motor. If the fuse does not blow then the problem would appear to be in the circuit that runs to the boat.

Disconnect the red wire to the 7/10 pin connector at the R/R terminal. Leave the other red wire in place. Install a fuse? Does it blow? If so, the problem might be in the red wire from the R/R to the 7/10 connector.

If the fuse does not blow, remove the red wire from the fuse to the R/R output at the R/R output terminal. Install a fuse. Does it blow? If so, the problem might be in the red wire from the fuse to the R/R output terminal.

Last edited:
Thank you for good info.
I disconnected the 10 pin connector=fuse blowed
i disconnected the red wire from r/r to 10 pin= fuse blowed
I unhooked everything from the r/r but when I hook up the black wire (ground) the fuse blowed

I ordered a rectifier should be here in a couple days gonna see if that fixes the problem. If that doesn’t work I’m gonna replace the wiring harness that 10 pin connector maybe the problem. I may spend 500 or better but I’m not taking it to get fixed lol

Back