Logo

1997 johnson 200 very hight idle

vladmakh

1997 johnson 200
I've replaced stator and timing base
I've done timing with plugs out and set to 14btc
Now when I start the engine its starts at 3000rpm and drops to 2000 rpm when quickstart kicks off. What could be the issue of it idling so high?

1997 johnson 200
I've replaced stator and timing base
I've done timing with plugs out and set to 14btc
Now when I start the engine its starts at 3000rpm and drops to 2000 rpm when quickstart kicks off. What could be the issue of it idling so high?
Bad tachometer
You turned the wrong screw
Why were these parts replaced?

Bought the boat with the engine with no spark. Decided to replace both since taking off the flywheel. Fixed the spark issue, figured out timing and now I'm lost.

Bought the boat with the engine with no spark. Decided to replace both since taking off the flywheel. Fixed the spark issue, figured out timing and now I'm lost.
Are all six throttle plates closed at idle?
Is throttle arm against its stop?

QUOTE=Rwbutler;692223]Now check for a sheared flywheel switch or displaced sensor magnet.[/QUOTE]

Inspected the flywheel prior, 4th magnet was loose so I glued it back with jb weld. All others were good including the center one.

You adjusted correct screw on block not the spark advance link???
I was adjusting the timing screw with the black cap right under flywheel on starboard side. I've re-checked timing again with plugs out and grounded and on 1st cylinder I put spark tester set at 7/16, quick start disabled with white and black wire from powerpack grounded and orange red wire from starter solenoid removed and its still at 14 btdc 4 for advance engine calls for 18btc at WOT. When I started the engine again same thing 2k rpm at idle. I've checked timing at idle and it's right at tdc with using seloc manual say 2-6 atdc so I'm off, at that point I've adjusted spark advance link with advance the timing at aidle between 2-6 but nothing changed. Ive shut the engine off and brought the screw back to original place. This is my first outboard engine I appreciate any help, I know im close but I'm definitely missing something

Last edited:
Back