Logo

Johnson 1967 RKL-29E 40 HP First Run

AJ_Gun

Hey guys, new to outboard motors and boating, just bought a boat with a 67 Johnson 40 HP on it, throttle linkage was disconnected, wires to the all but the ignition switch are disconnected on the panel but the ignition switch works so am not worried about the rest, engine was a no starter. I cleaned up the carb, replaced the spark plugs, cleaned up all the cables and connections, drained old fuel and wired the battery directly to the electric starter posts and got the motor working (along with connecting the main battery cables to the battery), engine idles a bit rough but should be ok I think. I have a few questions for you patient guys:
(I don't have manuals and Seloc manuals aren't helpful it seems so deciding not to spend my $40 on them)

1. How do I connect the throttle cable? Keep the throttle lever on the powerhead in the middle position and the throttle on remote control in neutral and then link them? Or pull the throttle on remote control all the way in reverse and pull the throttle lever on the motor all the way back and then link them? Keep the idle adjustment lever on remote control in the non start position I guess?

2. How do I unhook the lower unit? I unscrewed the 6 screws, 3 on each side but obviously there is more but for the life of me I cannot figure out which ones? Am guessing some kinda connection by the powerhead that will disengage the shaft? Want to change the impeller, is there anything else I need other than just the impeller? Gaskets, grease, glue, etc?

3. The forward and reverse were not engaging properly so I tested the shift switch in the remote control, it's connectors holding the screws were broken, using a multimeter checked all the 5 wires coming out of it, the two whites complete a circuit in neutral, and the purple wire completes a circuit with green in reverse and blue in forward position (the lever on the shift switch itself) so its working. Is there any way to secure it to the remote control slot for it without the screws? JB Welding the bottom to the remote control might not be strong enough I am guessing. Any ideas of how to secure it? Not spending $250 for a new part just for broken plastics. Can I completely take it out and jerry rig a a new holder for the shift switch out of wood or something with simple lever holding it in either forward or reverse with default in neutral? Any ideas there?

Thank you in advance for your time and patience, thank you Joe for your help on a different platform with the shift switch wiring and directing me to this forum. :)

Last edited:
You have to remove the rear cowling to find a hidden bolt ( 9/16" wrench ) in order to remove lower unit.-----Once you do that you will see where you have to disconnect shift wires too.----Work carefully mistakes can be expensive.

Last edited:
You have to remove the rear cowling to find a hidden bolt ( 9/16" wrench ) in order to remove lower unit.-----Once you do that you will see where you have to disconnect shift wires too.----Work carefully mistakes can be expensive.
Thank you for the response, I have tried finding said bolt before with no luck, these motors are tightly wound and I might not have looked properly, are there videos or pictures or diagrams that I could use as reference?

Any input on questions 1 and 3? lol

Well i think hooking up the throttle cable is very easy if it is factory original.--------Cable held at an angle and it slips into that " S-hook " thingy.------Never had to cobble up a shift switch yet.

Well i think hooking up the throttle cable is very easy if it is factory original.--------Cable held at an angle and it slips into that " S-hook " thingy.------Never had to cobble up a shift switch yet.

Yes hooking it was quite easy, I was more confused about the throttle position while hooking it up. Should it be neutral at the remote control and in the middle at the motor or reverse at the remote control and fully pulled to the back on the motor?

Back