Logo

Head Gasket gone??

Wulfy

Hi everyone,

I have been restoring a Fletcher ArrowFlyte which I have recently inherited (my first boat) and which came with a Mercury 70 motor. The boat had been sat in a heated warehouse for 25 years untouched so after replacing the impeller (which took 2 months to eventually split the gearbox from the engine) and all the perished wiring we fired it up for the first time last week and it pretty much started first time. Great we thought and then I started replacing things like the fuel tank and fuel lines (as there were a couple of leaks). This weekend we started it up again but noticed fuel was being ejected from the lower carb with quite some force. The engine eventually started but did not run as smoothly as last week then we noticed water was coming out of the bottom spark plug
icon9.png
I am guessing this means it has blown the head gasket? My questions are;

1. Are these gaskets still available
2. Is it worth continuing trying to save this motor or would I be wasting my time and money to pull the head off to fit a new gasket
3. how big a job is this to do for someone who is reasonable capable with a spanner?

thanks in advance

I have a old black max doing head gaskets a the moment, I am still learning by stripping, snapping rounding stuff,you got nothing to lose and plenty to gain,parts shouldn't be a problem with boogie, take plenty of photos they can come in handy, good luck

There is no cylinder head on that motor.----Water jacket gasket is leaking.----Easy fix on a fresh water motor.

Just between you and me, if i don't have an absolutely smooth surface to work with and sometimes even then I am going to make sure to put at least a thin coat of copper coat spray sealer (or a sealer like it) to make sure I have a really good no questions asked seal. Just don't get stupid with it, it's an aid to sealing not a gasket.

Back