Logo

1986 9.9 dieing when connecting fuel lines

Stranded

Hey there, Great forum! Been ready for awhile and finaly posting

I baught a 1986 9.9 2 cylinder motor short shaft, Came with recepts for a recent service at a dealer. Carb kit, fuel connector, Lower end gear oil swap, plugs and greese.

Anyway second trip out it gets a little rough on the water and i accidently yanked the fuel connector out. i shut the engine off before it ran out of fuel

I replugged it in and it would start, primed the bulb and wouldnt start.

Long story short is it will run without the line connected, As soon as you plug it in the engine dies!

Any ideas? Thank you!

Thanks for the reply! it must be flooding itself out when the fuel is connected?

I noticed when you squeez the primer bulb it squirts right out the top of the carbureter

How hard are you squeezing the bulb? Ask the dealer that did the repairs if they can revisit the work they did. Don't use ethanol fuel.....please.

How hard are you squeezing the bulb? Ask the dealer that did the repairs if they can revisit the work they did. Don't use ethanol fuel.....please.

The dealer is a 7 hour drive away, ide like to avoid that drive at all costs for now

I used ipone oil and non ethenol high test

i didnt squeeze it like a madman, But gas shouldnt come out the carb, right?

Thanks for the reply!

Also, i had it running with out the fuel connected, i got it Wide open throttle and plugged the fuel in and it bogged out and died

If it pukes out gas from the carb when you squeeze the fuel bulb either the float height was incorrectly set or there is a problem with float needle valve (or it's seat) - both of which "would have been messed with" if the carb was recently rebuilt.

These are pretty bullet-proof motors and if there is a problem it usually lies with the skill of the person who "touched it".

The carb needs to be pulled, possibly have the float adjusted to spec and the needle/seat inspected (particularly make sure the seat was installed, it's easy to miss if someone isn't familiar with carbs).

If it pukes out gas from the carb when you squeeze the fuel bulb either the float height was incorrectly set or there is a problem with float needle valve (or it's seat) - both of which "would have been messed with" if the carb was recently rebuilt.

These are pretty bullet-proof motors and if there is a problem it usually lies with the skill of the person who "touched it".

The carb needs to be pulled, possibly have the float adjusted to spec and the needle/seat inspected (particularly make sure the seat was installed, it's easy to miss if someone isn't familiar with carbs).

Thanks pal! its not spewing from the barrel, its from the top of the carb. i will take a video and post it here when i get off work

it ran great for almost 8 hours over the weekend, ive had the needle seat gasket dissintegrate on different equipment before

Thanks again for chatting, it realy helps me

Back