Logo

4.3 ignition issue

nitrolouie2142

Hello peeps.

New to the site, tons of great info here. I have a 92 Baja 4.3 4bbl mercruiser, was running great. i replaced the gauge package (most weren't working) then it would die out at anything over 2000 rpm. then would start right back up but run like crap, could limp home. the boat had been sitting for about 4 years when i got it, figured carb issue, new carb, same issue. found the battery + wire terminal at the alternator was loose and just about melted off. new alternator, repaired terminal. boat ran for about 5 minutes at the dock then the idle changed and the engine quit, no spark. testing said ignition amplifier, got one off fleabay. still no power to the red/white wire at the distributor. is there anything else that would cause the no power at the white /red wire from the module to the distributor. thanks in advance.

Ok after further testing the ignition amplifier is shot. Is there a replacement/ upgrade from it. It's a 4.3 . Thunderbolt iv. Module says V6-14. Could I replace the distributor with a mechanical advance and eliminate the amplifier altogether?

Back