Logo

Kodiac marine 350 issues

Rscottdds

Regular Contributor
I have a Kodiac Marine carborated 350 hooked to a VP 290sp. Going out last weekend it would bog down and misfire. We would drain the fuel water separator (looked a bit murky) and it would run again for 5 minutes before acting up again. At one point it started backfiring and quit. Since it was getting dark and we were almost to the islands we were able to get her started again and got to the anchorage right before sundown. In the morning we were able to run all the way home without issue (30 miles)

Changed out the fuel filter and the collection bowl had a layer of fine tannish substance in it. Went to run it this morning s Az nd it won’t start. Tries to backfire every once in awhile but won’t catch. Any idea how to trouble shoot this? Is my carb gummed up? If so why did it run all the way home without issue?

Thanks for any help.
Robert

I have a Kodiac Marine carborated 350 hooked to a VP 290sp. Going out last weekend it would bog down and misfire. .....

Changed out the fuel filter and the collection bowl had a layer of fine tannish substance in it. Went to run it this morning s Az nd it won’t start. Tries to backfire every once in awhile but won’t catch. Any idea how to trouble shoot this? Is my carb gummed up? If so why did it run all the way home without issue?

Thanks for any help.
Robert

You have a tank full of crap fuel... get rid of it, have the tank cleaned.. new clean fuel.
re that tannish stuff.... which carb is on that engine????... that tannish stuff usually a result of ethanol "enhanced" fuel.
It is not soluble in any solvent I've tried. Its actually, IMHO, a chemical reaction and as such bypasses filters. Your carb likely has one or more passages plugged with that stuff. If you have access to a ultrasonic cleaner big enough to take the whole carb, cleaning will be easy otherwise you will have to clean all the fine passages in the carb mechanically, i.e. with a fine wire or appropriate number drill.

RE: run one day and not the next.... that's happened to me...

I tried starting it with starter fluid and it didn’t even hiccup. Wouldn’t it at least try to start with starter fluid even with a gummed up carb? I checked spark and it’s at least getting some to the one cylinder I tried. The mechanic I usually take it to quit and the other one in town can’t see me until mid September. Just trying to figure this out on my own.
Robert

How old is the disti cap/rotor???.. With high energy ignition systems, they fail abruptly ( actually work valiantly under less than ideal conditions, then don't work) ... points system less tolerant, but also fail... if points how old...???

Cap and rotor less than a year old. Not sure about points. If I’m getting a spark though wouldn’t it at least cough with starting fluid?

On a points system, the "rubbing block" can (and does) wear to the point that the ignition system timing and spark are off. Check dwell if points system.
Good debugging rule... replace what's broke even if you don't think it causing a problem....

Of course, if its an electronic ignition system, you have other problems.

Last edited:
Back