Logo

Windshield pass through door striking frame - how to adjust?

Hi, looking for help in figuring out what to do to fix the windshield pass through door striking frame - how to adjust it.
I've attached some pics. It strikes when closing the glass window on the upper area but not the lower. It has to be forced to close completely act there is scuffing on the aluminum from years of it being like this it appears.
The windshield has a support rod on each side and nothing really seems adjustable.. There is a slight dent on the windshield frame by the driver's seat on the outside that may or may not be related.

I'm guessing the only thing to do is to loosen the windshield wrap attaching to the fiberglass boat attaching stud nuts and see if thing will shift into a better place with those loosened..?

1982 Tri Hull Sea Sprite SeaHawk 16' fiberglass boat

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 58
Perhaps there are structural issue starting to show.----Walk trough frames / framework may not be the strongest !

Ayuh,...... Odds are the dash is sinkin' into the hull,.......

Lift on both sides by the walk-thru, 'n I bet the window closes perfectly,.....

Thanks for pointing out the sinking of the dash supports!

So I took all the front attaching screws out and the sides and unbolted the tee bolt's nut one one each side under the gunwale
The Tee bolt on one side just spun so I had to attach vice grip pliar to the end of the bolt to keep it from spinning till I turn loose the nut as much as I could which allowed me to lift the frame off the boat enough to get a sawsall to cut the bolt in half.
I found no one carries Tee bolts but they do have toilet tee/flange bolts and I got the smallest size and just had to file down the flange with a bit in a vice clamp to make it a perfect replacement to slide back into the window bottom frame aluminum channel.

So the bottom of the wrap around windshield had weather stripping that was totally shot so I removed it and cleaned and replaced it.
This should fix the problem of water coming under the windshield at times.

Yes your right, the dash supports are sinking where the pass through is the problem. I know I know I should have worked on shimming from the dash supports at the floor. But for now I ended up just adding washers under the ends of the windshield screws fixed the window closing problem.
I need to tackle the floor 1/2" wood has soft spots needs total wood floor sheet replacing and then I'll address properly the dash supports sinking, hopefully next year or this winter.

I've attached pics of all this.
Take care

Attachments

• IMG_0320.jpg
    IMG_0320.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0322.jpg
    IMG_0322.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 52
I found no one carries Tee bolts but they do have toilet tee/flange bolts and I got

Ayuh,...... Last time I did sucha chore, I bought the appropriate sized ssteel screws, 'n ground the heads to fit the channel,.....

#10s, or maybe #12s,.....

I need to tackle the floor 1/2" wood has soft spots needs total wood floor sheet replacing and then I'll address properly the dash supports sinking, hopefully next year or this winter.

Boats rot from the bottom up,... usually there's rotten stringers under the rotten deck, followed by a rotten transom,.....

Last edited:
You might need to inspect the entire structure hiding under the floor.----Stringers / ribs / windshield support structure might be rotten.

Back