Logo

Inline fuse at battery

dakota968

I have a 1992 Johnson outboard with remote electric start. There's an inline fuse holder near the battery. It has been damaged and there's no fuse in it. Obviously I can easily replace the fuse holder. Does anyone know the AMP rating for the fuse, or how I can figure that out?

I have a 1992 Johnson outboard with remote electric start. There's an inline fuse holder near the battery. It has been damaged and there's no fuse in it. Obviously I can easily replace the fuse holder. Does anyone know the AMP rating for the fuse, or how I can figure that out?

There is a 20 amp fuse associated with the engine wiring harness but one near the battery may be supplying other equipment on the boat

Choose a value which is high enough to supply the current needed but small enough to provide protection for the wiring.

We have no way of knowing what equipment the fuse is supplying. Running lights? Radio? Bilge pump? Whatever? The answer, plus wire size, determines the fuse requirement.

Agreed, that is not a fuse associated with the factory controls for the engine. You need to trace those wires to find out what it feeds like Vic mentioned

If you can trace the wiring and figure it out, that is best and ensure not other breaks in the line. If not, Check all of the electrical items on the boat to see what is no operating with that fuse out (ensure you check bilge pumps). My Johnson has that inline fuse holder and it has a 20 amp fuse. Good Luck

Back