Logo

2005 tohatsu urgent

Rod Jones

Hello,

We are in Ensenada for only two more weeks of our vacation. We have a 2005 Tohatsu 8 hp that won’t idle. I have taken the carb off the engine ice and removed the jets and cleaned every open port. It still won’t idle and have to run at half throttle and as soon as I let the rpm drop the
motor dies.

I haven’t used the motor for two years, however I did run the fuel out of the fuel pump and carb before putting the motor away.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help.

Spray cleaner is not aggressive enough. If not planning to do a real carb dip, then you will need another carburetor.
Need to know whether yours is remote or tiller. There are 2 different carbs. Not interchangeable. The chokes turn opposite.
The 9.8 carb will also work, and give you a lot more power.

Spray cleaner is not aggressive enough. If not planning to do a real carb dip, then you will need another carburetor.
Need to know whether yours is remote or tiller. There are 2 different carbs. Not interchangeable. The chokes turn opposite.
The 9.8 carb will also work, and give you a lot more power.

can you suggest a cap dip?

also- are able to recommend a place to purchase the carb you are referring to?

thank you very much for replying.

Get a 1-gallon can of carb dip at the auto parts place. Soak all non-rubber bits overnight. Then blow out with carb spray.
Any dealer can sell the carb. For that matter, the Mercury or Evinrude 4-stroke carb will also work.

SALVADOR DIAZ MIRON NO. 5, COL. CENTRO C.P.93620
SAN RAFAEL, VERACRUZ
MEXICO

TEL(52)-232-324-9060 [email protected][URL="http://www.fecegomarina.com.mx/"]http://www.fecegomarina.com.mx[/URL]
(SALES FOR STATE OF TAMAULIPAS, VERACRUZ, TABASCO, CAMPECHE, YUCATAN AND QUINTANA ROO)

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me good direction. I will go to the auto parts store as you suggest.

the motor is a tiller model

Hi Paul,

Managed to soak car over night. Still isn’t idling to well. Much better than it was tho. I think I will purchase a 9.8 carb when I get back to the states. The outboard is a tiller.

Truly appreciate your time. Thank you!

After the soak, I then use carb spray -- a whole can -- to blow out all the softened varnish. I do use a heated ultrasonic tank, which speeds the soak.

Back