Logo

2001 mercruiser 3.0 honking/ringing noise after a prop hit

scotty98

Hi all. I have a 2001 sea ray 180 with a 3.0 mercruiser that starting making an odd honking noise after a prop strike. It's a honking noise every 6-8 seconds. Seems to be coming from the front of the engine - pulley side. Doesn't make the noise until the engine hits operating temperature. Any idea if the prop strike caused some engine damage? Motor still runs good. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Belts tight?
Thanks for responding.
Yes, both are tight and in very good condition. In fact, I removed the power steering belt and ran with just the main/alternator belt. The sound is much quieter. Still every 6-8 seconds and only when the motor is at operating temperature.

I'm going to replace both with new and see if that solves the issue. Just seems odd that a belt issue wouldn't pop up as soon as you start it up. Why a sound only when the engine is hot?

That kind of sound is likely a bearing failure somewhere on one of the externally driven accessories like alternator, water pump and such.
When engine parts warm up, they expand which is why it happens at temp and not when cold.

UPDATE: no sound after replacing both belts. My son took her out on the water today and at first all was quiet, but eventually the sound came back. The boat ran great otherwise. I'm thinking the alternator may be the culprit. I'm going to replace that next. Thanks for your insight o2batsea.

You know Harbor freight, and others, sells a automotive stethoscopes $5.00.
https://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-63691.html

I bought one, in case, not sure it works .... worth a try.
good luck

I will give that a try, thanks for the suggestion. I've been running the boat all week. Runs great, but still honking at low RPM and at idle. Not every time and the repetition changes, as does the length and pitch of the sound. Very odd. As I mentioned earlier, I plan on replacing the alternator next. So far I replaced both belts and verified the fluid levels are fine. It does appear the volt reading on the gauge is a bit higher than I recall. It's right at the top end of 14 volts, right at the warning grid on the gauge. I will get a volt meter reading when I put her back on dry land.

I will give that a try, thanks for the suggestion. I've been running the boat all week. Runs great, but still honking at low RPM and at idle. Not every time and the repetition changes, as does the length and pitch of the sound. Very odd. As I mentioned earlier, I plan on replacing the alternator next. So far I replaced both belts and verified the fluid levels are fine. It does appear the volt reading on the gauge is a bit higher than I recall. It's right at the top end of 14 volts, right at the warning grid on the gauge. I will get a volt meter reading when I put her back on dry land.
We are having the same issue with the rhythmic honk sound. Curious if you were ever able to diagnose the issue.

Back