Logo

Power tilt/trim NEED HELP!!!!

troysweatt08

I have a 2016 115 hp 4stroke mercury my power tilt and trim works great but if I let it set over night it’ll leaking down .. don’t know what to do

Some of these motors do have some leakdown designed into the trim system. According to the manual less than 2.2" of leakage as measured on the rod over a 24hr period isn't a issue. I'm having a leakdown issue with a brand new 115XPS that's in our showroom. On the side of the Ram there's a passageway that takes the fluid to and from the cylinder. On the bottom of the cylinder base there's some JB weld like stuff plugging what I assume is the passage way plug screw and it's leaking there. This is the first time I've experienced this issue so I'm waiting to hear back from Mercury Tech. If you have visible oil then there is a leak somewhere. You might also check the bypass screw and be sure it's tight. When I hear back from Mercury I'll update what my issues is. If anyone else reading this has experienced this passageway plug leak please chime in. As it is it may be 2weeks before I get a factory Tech to respond. The way we are selling boats I may have a buyer before I get an answer!

Tikitech, your saying a brand new trim system is leaking ?
Couple of quick possibilities are the bleed screw that lets you move the engine when the engine is off, left side of trim unit, may not be fully closed....just loose enough to leak. Next could be that you have a leak somewhere and your fluid is low....outside chance.....that is the screw on the rear of the pump assy and full is even with the top of the threads....if it had any more fuel it'd run out, engine in full up position when checking....put the screw/plastic nut back in before you move the engine from full up.

Yes it's a brand new motor never been on the water, mounted this spring on the boat. Had come in from the factory in January. On the bottom new trim cylinders there's what looks like JB Weld type stuff plugging the holes where I assume a plug screw is inserted after machining the passageways. I'm still waiting for Mercury Tech to contact me back.

Yes it's a brand new motor never been on the water, mounted this spring on the boat. Had come in from the factory in January. On the bottom new trim cylinders there's what looks like JB Weld type stuff plugging the holes where I assume a plug screw is inserted after machining the passageways. I'm still waiting for Mercury Tech to contact me back.
How about a picture.

How about a picture.

The glob of whatever it is next to the ground cable is the one leaking, you can see on the other end a similar glob that is dry. IMG_20200825_114418.jpg

There are several of these globs of JB Weld type stuff on the bottom of the pump side and the Ram side. All are where passageways are milled in the housing.

Last edited:
No idea. Wouldn't think Merc. would build something like you describe.
Well the OP's original issue could be the bleed down built into these new trim system's what I quoted is directly from the Mercury manual.
I took my pic off the brand new motor in our showroom. I have no reason to misrepresent my issue I am a Mercury Certified Tech. If you don't believe what I'm saying your welcome to visit our shop in southern Iowa and you can look at it firsthand.

Back