Logo

89 evinrude suddenly idles at 2100 rpm

Jack s

My 90 hp VRO had been idling at 700 rpm and now all of a sudden idles at 2100 rmp , I had the VRO bypassed recently and went to premix, it didn’t seem to change the idle speed but now it idles high , butterfly fly valves on the carbs all seem fully closed , could there be an air leak somewhere?
thanks

The cover is off and when I look the valves appear fully closed, I started the boat this morning a few times, the first 4 times it idled at about 900 rpm , which seems higher than normal , then the next 4 times I started it , it went to 2100 rpm, every time everything seemed the same the valves the throttle linkage everything .
thank you so much for replying

If the flywheel key is sheared the timing will change.----That could lead to higher RPM.-----Sorry---I can not see , hear or feel your motor.---Up to you to check it.-----And , no you can not find a sheared key with a timing light!!

If the flywheel key is sheared the timing will change.----That could lead to higher RPM.-----Sorry---I can not see , hear or feel your motor.---Up to you to check it.-----And , no you can not find a sheared key with a timing light!!
The motor runs great , fires right up is smooth, revs fine, a sheared key could still be possible
thank you for the help

The power pack was no good, I had replaced it 3 months ago with a Chinese one from amazon , got a OEM one from Crowley marine and fired right up,runs better than ever, thanks for the help

Back