Logo

Is there a trick to getting bell housing mounting nuts in place for 1995 Mercruiser 5.7 w/ Alpha One

gjm27n

I am in the process of rebuilding a boat with a 1995 Mercruiser 5.7 and Alpha One Gen II drive. I rebuilt the motor and am in the process of installing it. Problem is, I can't get the nuts in place for the bolts that secure the bell housing to the rear engine mount. I'm guessing I should I have put them in place before putting the engine in or is there a way to get them in with the engine sitting in place. I'd hate to have to pull the engine but after spending the better part of an hour trying to get my hand and the nut in place, I've almost resigned my self to that (It probably would be faster).

Thanks, my hands are way to big to get them in and the rear of the motor can't be raised because of the fit with the gimbal. Guess I'm bringing the engine hoist over. Thanks, lesson learned.

I've rebuilt/restored a couple of boats in the past including engines but this is my first inboard so learning as I go. Outboards are definitely easier.

Back