Logo

2000 Johnson, 70 HP

Hello,

I have a 2000 Johnson, 70 HP. Last month, I was cruising across the lake at approximately 75% throttle. As I approached a passing boat I gently throttled down to around 25% throttle. When I did this, there was a ungodly screeching and grinding noise that came from my motor and it died. It would turn over and start for a few seconds, but would not stay running. Everytime I attempted to start it, I could hear the grinding noise, sounds like it is coming from lower portion of the motor. After getting it on the trailer (which was a chore), I attempted to spin my prop by hand. It will turn approximately 60% rotation and then gets real stiff and takes some muscle to spin it the rest of the way. I am looking for some ideas on where I should even begin to troubleshoot and or diagnose. Any advice is welcomed!

Thanks Racerone. I did pull the plug later that day, did not see and slivers or shavings on the magnet. I decided to go ahead and change the oil. I swept the drain pan with a stronger magnet and again did not see any shavings. Still stumped lol.

Back