Logo

57 Evinrude 5,5 Fisherman OMC connection

Kmbhunt

Bought a 57 Evinrude 5.5. Didn’t have a fuel tank so purchased an old OMC one on line. Fuel line is 1/8 on motor but tank is a bit larger. Any thoughts on how to connect

Attachments

• DA1EBDAD-5E16-4D10-98AB-20D31B0F54DB.jpeg
    DA1EBDAD-5E16-4D10-98AB-20D31B0F54DB.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 25
The tank shown is for a motor that has a fuel pump.------The 57 models used a pressure tank and no fuel pump on the motor.------Does your motor have a fuel pump , yes or no ?---Post pictures of the powerhead on your 57 model.

Doesn’t have a pump. Is there a new tank that would work with it

Attachments

• B05111E0-C749-4FE0-BA99-9F02064A84A4.jpeg
    B05111E0-C749-4FE0-BA99-9F02064A84A4.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 24
You need a pressure tank ( 1950 to 1959 ) or convert your motor to run with a pump.----Availability of pressure tank varies with your location.----Lots available if you look.

Pressure tanks are almost rare as chicken fangs around here. But more common in the Great Lakes area of the country. Post a want ad at www.aomci.org The ad is free, so what's to lose for asking?

I've got a '57 Evinrude 5.5 and it didn't have a tank with it when I bought it. I couldn't find a reasonable priced pressure tank so I just converted mine and put a fuel pump on it. You can find some pretty good Youtube videos to show you how to do it.

I ordered a universal fuel pump on Walmarts web site which only cost $10.11 with free shipping at the time I ordered it a couple of years ago. I like this pump because it's aluminum instead of plastic like the ones people were using in the videos.

I had some scrap metal strapping laying around that's better than using wire ties that other people are using on their pumps doing the conversion.

I found an old single line tank on E-bay that was cheap and in very good shape.

eTH0GFF.jpg

0udWMNO.jpg

qP4xM0y.jpg

I also found a used single line hose connection for a few bucks on E-bay.

xL5vtkI.jpg

The pumps were so cheap I ordered a spare so that in the future if and when it goes bad I'll just replace it instead of worrying about rebuilding it.

JokEduu.jpg

Last edited:
That's a nifty little pump. I have plenty of pressure tanks, both 4 and 6 gallon, but shortage of double line fittings. Can you even SHIP tanks now? Let me know what you decide.....I check this forum usually twice a day. Probably have 25 pressure tanks in stock.......but also potential motors that need work. I very often can get a motor pretty cheap, but no tank with it.....so I keep extras on hand. They are all sterile and dry inside.....no rust.
Double fuel/air line is still available for a few bucks a foot......so not bad. Then you will NEVER EVER worry about a fuel pump going bad. The closed pressure system also makes it very hard for moisture to get into your fuel. Why? If your tank leaks.....your motor doesn't run. Why do they have to get rid of all the "good stuff"?

Last edited:
Back