Logo

BF30A - Steering/tilt rod or tiller handle?

Skligmund

So I picked up this mid 90's(?) BF30A (S/N BAWL-1003xxx), and it seems to be missing a piece or two. My local Honda shop is down for roof repairs, so I'm hoping to find information here. My boat (18' Westcoaster Bayrunner Open) had an old 2 stroke 30 Yamaha with a tiller that was long in the tooth (and can't run in my local river) so I wouldn't have any problem with converting to a tiller handle. This motor came with remote controls, I have a console I can easily install in the boat, but the steering system is lacking parts (at least I think it is). The tube itself is WAY too long to work with my teleflex steering cable and doesn't have threads to attach the sheath. There also seems there should be bushings or spacers to keep the motor from shifting side to side between the mounts. Also, it looks like there should be a cover plate for the area that looks to be the tiller attach point where the controls route into the cowl. Looking through the parts books I can find, I'm finding it difficult to determine what I need to make this install right.

20200730_184031.jpg

Thank you for any assistance you can offer!

Patrick

Okay, it might sound like I'm talking to myself, but I'll keep updates regarding information I have, or additional questions I have regarding the original question.

I found two tilt shafts for my motor. I have no idea what, if any, difference is between these two P/N's, but both are listed in various online parts stores. 50381-ZZ5-000 and 50381-ZV5-010. It looks almost like the ZV5 is superseded by ZZ5.

What hardware/parts are required to lock the shaft in place? The hardware shown in the parts diagrams seem to be caps?

I found the cover plate. P/N was 40151-ZV7-000ZA

Finally found a video of one of these outboards on a boat. I'm fairly certain I figured out how it all works now. Once I figured out how it worked, I was confident enough to order up all the little parts I needed. Turns out I needed a few bits and pieces (and maybe 2 more bolts I already have) to make this all come together. Here is my list, just in case it helps somebody in the future.

40151-ZV7-000ZA - CASE, SEPARATE *NH282MU* (OYSTER SILVER METALLIC-U) 1
17877-ZV5-000 - PLATE, REMOTE CONTROL CABLE 1
40105-ZV5-000 - GROMMET, CASE (LOWER) (A) 1
50214-ZV5-003 - BUSH, SWIVEL CASE 2
50381-ZV5-010 - SEE PART DETAILS - PRI; SHAFT, TILTING | (Honda Code 7371537). 1
90015-ZV0-000 - BOLT, FLANGE (6X28) 2
90304-ZV5-013 - NUT, SELF-LOCK (7/8-14UNF) 2
90307-ZV5-003 - NUT, SELF-LOCK (3/8-24UNF) 2
90504-921-010 - WASHER, PLAIN (6MM) 4
90506-ZV4-000 - WASHER, PLAIN (6MM) 2
90514-ZV4-000 - WASHER (10MM) 3
90517-ZV5-000 - WASHER, WAVE (22MM) 2
90765-ZV5-000 - PIN, SPECIAL LOCK (6MM) 2

Well, I have nothing to add except to say it looks as if you have this project under control.

And, to let you know you're NOT talking to yourself but, probably, many of us here that are interested in what you're accomplishing.

Hopefully that 30 ends up being a great workhorse for you!

Update!

Ran the boat in a couple local lakes to check out my setup. So far, so good! Took it on the river a few days ago, no problems there. Caught many pink salmon, no silvers...

My boat is very light, and this 30 planes it quickly with 2 people and gear. Due to damage from the previous owner dragging the prop somehow at an angle catching 2 blades and the hub during transport. The one on there works well, but I'm SURE it isn't ideal. Anyways, the current prop is a 9 1/4 x 12 and seems to work well. What is the performance shift between a 9 1/4 x 12 vs a 9 3/4 x 9 7/8? I'm betting one is better for heavier boats, and the other better for speed with lighter boats? I'm unsure which way this works. If both were the same diameter, it would make easy sense to me, but they have different diameters and pitches. These two are both the available props mentioned by Honda. I was considering getting one of each and testing, but I'd rather not if I don't have to. The boat currently pops right up on step with the typical load I use, but I might get heavier with the addition of a few halibut and another person. Thoughts?

I will post this question as a new thread as well, as this one probably won't get the specific attention regarding propellers.

hondaprop.jpg

Back