Logo

1978 85 javalin Johnson

Ahh yes. So the ole timer wasn't filing me with BS.

So what would a 77' 140 long shaft be worth?? yes it ran, pretty well, but on a stand. It'll probably need carb kits as fuel was dripping under the lower carb during and after it ran. And a couple of coils, maybe all of them, he had put some used ones from Ebay on it. He let me check compression check on it & it was pretty steady at 100psi all 4 lungs. The compression check was done before he started it. He said he got it running earlier today. Apparently it was stored for 2 years

Maybe should have higher compression, but your gauge obviously reads high too, going by your Covid 85. I'd be afraid of it, brother.

Maybe should have higher compression, but your gauge obviously reads high too, going by your Covid 85. I'd be afraid of it, brother.
ok thanks, plan on looking on. He only wanted $400 for it and was willing to throw a OMC control & new prop for a extra $100.... It does appeal to my jewish side.

Ha....funny. If you have an air compressor. Put on a rubber tip and "inflate" your gauge. See how close it matches. If the gauge on your compressor is crap, then fill a tire with compressor unplugged......until air quits transferring, go for like 60 or 70 pounds.....hopefully you have a truck around! When air quits and is equal, then check tire with good tire gauge. Say it's 75 pounds. Then right away quick couple your rubber tip blow nozzle into hose and check compression gauge. I built my own air compressor in 1974.....still using it, run Amsoil fully synthetic in the Sears pump. Gauge on my compressor is US made and is high quality.....so I can go directly by my gauge on the compressor to check my compression tester......most likely it will sell at my auction when I decide to quit......That compressor will never die if kept in good hands. Point is.....buy good stuff....if you can't afford that, then build it yourself.....Jewish coming out in me too.

Last edited:
Back