Logo

Installing a trim switch on a 8 -9 hp on the case

CWFollett

Is there a way to install a power tilt switch on the engine cowl like the higher horsepower motors have ? When I launch and have to raise my 115 to disengage the travel lock there is a rocker switch on the engine cowl so you do not have to get to the engine controls. The 8 hp dose not have that rocker switch so you have to climb into the boat to raise the engine to disengage the travel lock . Of course when you trailer the boat the same is true to engage the locks .

You absolutely could wire in a cowl switch. It would require cutting a hole in the cowl for mounting and then simply wiring the switch in parallel to existing wires. Because the engine is smaller, it sits much closer to the water and that could be an issue with mounting the switch in the side cover.

Another option would be to do what I did with my bass boat and mount the switch on the outer corner of the deck where you can access it standing on the ground.
It's been a long time since I did that but I recall having to get a project box and installing relays in order to provide polarity reversal for up and down operation. But, then, my trim unit was an "add on" to the outboard that didn't come equipped with power tilt.

The point of my little story is that there are several ways to skin this cat but it requires some forethought and finding where to grab on before getting started.

Good luck.

Many years ago I installed a second console mid-deck on my old C-Hawk fishing boat so I could run the boat from the deck when I was fishing by myself. Part of that install was to include a rocker switch for the tilt/trim. I bought an after-market rocker switch from West Marine installed it on the console and simply Y'ed in the three wires to the harness wire going to the in-cabin tilt/trim switch. It's been working fine ever since. That way I didn't need to worry about setting up additional relays.So you could do the same by mounting the rocker switch on the deck where you can reach it. Make sure the the switch you install is totally waterproof.

Back