Logo

Basic question about a 1980 (maybe 82) 7.5 Merc

TheDukeVA

I am trying to fix a 1980 7.5 HP Outboard. I say maybe '82 because the serial number says '80 but the decal pattern seems to be '82. It was not used for the last 6 years but ran before that. I broke it down pretty far and tried to clean everything I could. Compression feels good but I haven't tested it. I was able to break the carb down completely and thoroughly clean that. I replaced the female (outside the motor case) fuel connector but not the male part. That seems to work fine,when I unhook the fuel line from the carb it flows out when I pump the bulb. New spark plugs. It is still missing the gear shift lever but I will replace that if I get it running. I cut about 15" off of the pull rope but there is still way more than length I can pull.
So, the issue:
I have it on a stand and in a barrel. I have the gas tank on the ground. If I don't pump the bulb, and with the choke closed, first pull sounds normal but doesn't start. 2nd pull it tries to start for 1-2 seconds. 3rd pull it barely tries. 4th pull and on it sounds completely dead. If I wait 30 minutes the cycle will be exactly the same.
I have tried, pumping, no pumping, choke, no choke. I can't get it to run. Any help would be much appreciated.
I am going to try and upload pictures. Most are of the condition when I got it. One is cleaned up.
Thanks!!!!!

Attachments

• mbre6.JPG
    mbre6.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 37
  • mbre5.jpg
    mbre5.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 37
  • mbre4.jpg
    mbre4.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 33
  • mbre3.jpg
    mbre3.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 38
  • mbre2.JPG
    mbre2.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 31
  • mbre1.jpg
    mbre1.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 39
Remove carb. Clamp in vise. Hook fuel tank to it and pump the bulb. If it floods, lower the float level 1/16 inch and try again. If you can't get it not to flood, replace the needle and seat then try again.

Those are great running little Mercs and worth the effort.

Jeff

The spark plug appears to show rust.------Hopefully the engine internals did not have water sitting on them.---Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" or more on both leads , yes or no ?

racerone, the spark plugs did jump no problem.
fastjeff, I did exactly what you said an it is running now, HOWEVER, that brings up a new problem.
Any help from anybody would be most appreciated.
It has been a while but the history of the motor is above in first post. (hasn't been run in 6 years until yesterday)
I have it in a barrel of water, I ran it for only about 20-30 seconds. No water is coming out of the pee hole but a strong stream of "steam or blueish steam" is streaming out of it.
Thoughts?
Thanks! Ken

Did you replace the waterpump impeller? After 6 years it should be the first thing to do, and check gear lube. Try putting the fuel tank on a platform that brings it up to the height of the powerhead, this reduces strain on the fuel pump.

Perhaps plastic water at top of water tube is damaged.-----Or you need to put more water in your test bucket ( 8" above the pump ) is how to test.

Before I would put a penny in that engine I would find out where that water came from on that rusty plug. Was that engine run in salt water that you know of?

I just cracked open my 1980 7.5 (looks like yours) because it
would not pump water. Found out I had a stuck ring so I fixed
that and just reassembled the two block halves. Water ports looked
ok but I'm still searching. Let you know what I find tomorrow.
These motors do not have a head gasket....strange design
but I'm starting to like it.

BigJ, I have not figured it out.
I have replaced the impeller and the tube rising from the impeller housing. I have made sure the tube from the inlet to the housing is clear. I have blown air up the long tube and felt it coming out of the tell tube. I can not figure it out. Starts great now, but no water through the pee hole.
Any thoughts or help would be very much appreciated.
Pictures of the old tube and new impeller.
Ken
b3.jpg
b2.jpgb1.jpg

Did you ever find out why that sparkplug had rust on it? Check it again and see if one of those plugs has water on it. It may be part of your not pumping problem.

BigJ, I have not figured it out.
I have replaced the impeller and the tube rising from the impeller housing. I have made sure the tube from the inlet to the housing is clear. I have blown air up the long tube and felt it coming out of the tell tube. I can not figure it out. Starts great now, but no water through the pee hole.
Any thoughts or help would be very much appreciated.
Pictures of the old tube and new impeller.
Ken
View attachment 26428
View attachment 26429View attachment 26430
as per previous comments, the water pump needs to be primed -water level needs to be higher than it normally would be to help the pump fill up. Be sure to fill bucket right up to 8” above pump. Also, in case you haven’t figured this out already don’t keep running it without water flowing you’ll need a new impeller if you don’t already!

Remove the LU and sit it in a bucket of water. Attached a drill
you should see water coming out of the plastic tube.
be sure water height is just below the top of plastic tube.

Quicksilver - I did check and the Key is engaged and working

Fitz - I don't know why it was rusty other than 7-10 years of sitting. I did what you said, below are picture of both spark plugs right after I ran it for 20 seconds or so. Maybe I am wrong but I do not see water.

racerone - I am not sure exactly what I should be looking for at the top of the tube. Below are pictures of that area. I know I didnt get in there for a great pic, but what should I be checking there?

BigJ - I will try that.

anybody spot anything from these pictures? Is it supposed to be that "rusty-ish" in that area?

Thanks!!!
thumbnail_IMG_4880.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4878.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4877.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4876.jpgthumbnail_IMG_4875.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4881.jpg

I do not see a picture of the top of the water tube.----So find out where the water tube is and goes.----Not in your pictures here , so can not help.

Thank ya’ll for all your help. Time for me to give up on this one. I’ll try to sell it to someone with more knowledge. I feel like being completely honest about what it’s doing and what I’ve tried I should be able to get $300-$400 for it.
Thanks again for all the help.

Back