Logo

Cylinder 2 and 6 failed leak down test

Firescooby

This is on a 1999 Mercruiser 5.0 in a Searay I/O.

I was just told from the shop that the motor failed the leakdown test in cylinders 2 and 6.

They're going to work up a price estimate, and they said they'd recommend doing both sides at this point.

Any idea on what something like this would cost?

depends upon how it 'failed' the test...

getting a pair of heads reconditioned is a lot cheaper than a complete rebuild w/ oversized pistons...

This is what they just sent me:

Exhaust side - Valves tulips - Will show compression on the cylinders but because of the valves tulips on exhaust side when it comes up on the compression stroke, the fuel gets flushed out of the cylinder without being ignited.

sounds like a top end overhaul....so if your heads are serviceable, they will get checked for cracks and condition and then rebuilt...how much - depends on where you are and the going rate as well as how many parts need changing...you can buy a pair of reconditioned heads for $1000 so that would be worst case...probably half that...then there's labor and that will depend upon access to the engine...figure an oil change and coolant if it has a closed system...and then the gasket set...and if anything is corroded and breaks during disassembly, figure labor and parts for that....maybe a grand if you get lucky....and then 2X if you do both engines...

Back