Logo

Engine loses power when throttling up.

sjoblon

I replaced spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, changed all fluids, drained gas and replaced with new ethanol free, was before as well but just to be sure, new fuel and oil filter, no spun hub, cleaned flame arrestor. Took it out today and it ran up to plane, ran for 5 minutes, then lost power with throttle up. Never recovered. Took back to idle, no wake speed throttled up and engine RPMs rose 3-4k, only ran 5-10 mph. I have a 1998 Bayliner Calri 2052 with a mercruiser 4.3L thunderbolt ignition. Trying to diagnose and fix myself, but i don't have a ton of experience. Trying to rule out step by step. Any ideas would be great.

Thinking next step is the carb?

So, the engine is revving normally but you have no drive? Spun coupler?

Yesterday it ran fine for 5 minutes, then it stayed at RPM, but didn't want to go anywhere. Took it back to no wake speed, then when I throttled up there was a delay between throttling up and the engine responding, but still didn't want to go anywhere.

Oh, when I ran it with muffs in the driveway, it sounded fine.

Yesterday it ran fine for 5 minutes, then it stayed at RPM, but didn't want to go anywhere. Took it back to no wake speed, then when I throttled up there was a delay between throttling up and the engine responding, but still didn't want to go anywhere.

Oh, when I ran it with muffs in the driveway, it sounded fine.

Take a good clear picture of your propeller and post it.

Back