Logo

Starting Merc 3.0L after carb rebuild

JPonHudson

I rebuilt my Mercruiser 3/0 Carb. (I have successfully done it few years ago) I paid attention to adjusting the float to match the angle of one I was replacing. I put the thing together, but the engine did not start at first. After several tries it did start, but it died when I lowered the throttle and didn't start again. I noticed that my electric choke was not adjusted right and I fixed it. I think gas is getting to the carb because I smell it and see some of it dripping down. I left it alone because the battery started to die. I am returning tomorrow to try again. What is a good source of the info on what settings I need to check before I try again? Anything else I should consider? BTW, I did a lot of pumping prior to starting (hence the dripping). There is no fuel in the transparent line connecting the pump and the carb. I am mentioning it because the only item that I never replaced in this 2000 Boat (Capri 1952 Cuddy, Mercruiser 3.0L Alpha 1 v2) is the fuel pump. Do I have a reason to suspect it? Please give me some ideas of what I should consider and might have overlooked. PS, The one time when the engine started it went into really high RPM, when I pulled the throttle back and it started to die, I attempted to add more gas but no luck. Ater that it didn't start again.

Back