Logo

1985 Evinrude E140TLCOS Unable to shift into gear

Mr Yeates

Hello all!
Purchased boat a few months ago and has been running great. Previous owner had a dealer do all maintenance.
Was cruising home over the weekend at around 4k RPM, bumped up to 5k and as it was accelerating, it seemed to pop out of gear, came to a complete stop, rev up towards 6k RPMs. I throttled down to neutral. Tried to go back into gear, and it wouldn't engage. Same with reverse.
Got towed home, figured I spun the prop hub. Might have been half asleep, but after taking off the prop and putting it into gear, thought I felt the flywheel engage and was confident that's what it was. Got a new hub installed in my prop, put back on boat. Same issue.
With boat in neutral, prop spins freely. In forward or reverse, it almost feels like it's engaged, but it isn't. Like a clicking of some sort.
I disconnected the shift linkage to rule it out.
Trying to drop the lower unit, but there's a bolt in the middle that's tight, and just spinning without coming out.

What are we looking at here? Shift shaft come loose from the lower unit? Dog clutch broken? Checked the lower unit oil and nothing suspect.
Am wondering what my next steps are and what I should look at. Stuck bolt won't be fun, but needs to come out. Not sure what next steps are to look for.

Thanks all.

Broken or spun drive shaft maybe??

I assume this will become very apparent once I get the lower unit off. I was so focused on the dog clutch and gears that I didn’t consider a broken drive shaft. Water pump still works though.
I was able to get 5 of the 6 bolts off. The other one the previous owner mechanic cheaped on and used a non stainless 9mm bolt instead of the hex head. Will try to get it off tomorrow once I find an Allen wrench for it.

Myself I would prefer to take out pin #33 to release the shift rod.

apologies, I meant 33 in my post. I just snapped a flat head trying to get it off. It’s not a full hex so a hex drive isn’t working either. I may half to cut the entire shift rod at the bottom just to drop the lower and then replace it.

Update: total user error. I was going at the bolt at the wrong angle. Was able to get lower and bust it loose with a ratchet.
lower it now off. Going to take to a friend mechanic tomorrow to have them look. With unit in neutral, prop shaft sound, and spin normal. With it in forward or reverse, it makes a clicking noise and the drive shaft doesn’t move at all.
Personally thinking maybe the dog clutch, but possible still broken drive shaft. I’ll update when I know more.

Update: Mechanic looked it over, we removed the water pump housing and just like called out here, shaft was sheared right under it. Came off with the impeller. Will have a new shaft installed and gear case checked over during the weekend and have it back next week.
thanks for all the tips and help. Hopefully she goes back together easy.

Unfortunately there was a mistake with the part number. This motor uses a 1 piece shaft and the mechanic had the 2 piece shaft delivered. It won't work since the pinion gears are different. We talked to a Johnson dealer to see if he has the shaft but he does not. He recommends looking for a newer unit that will bolt on that uses the 2 piece shaft as he fears it will shear again in some time. Could anyone point me to which part numbers I am looking for exactly? Going to check around on Ebay and call a few places to see if I can find a used gearcase.

If you are in Canada----------evinrudeparts.ca-----May be able to help with what fits what.

I am not unfortunately..
What I have gathered is buying a $450 used one piece drive shaft, and it possibly breaking again (mechanic seems to make it sound like it could happen but please if not, my current lower unit is in great shape) or look for a lower unit that uses the 2 piece shaft. I also see SEI makes something but reviews are all over the place. I would need a lower unit from these years.
120-140 Looper V-4... (15 spline prop shaft)...................1985-1991
Sounds like it's a V4 gear ration, but V6 case. I got lucky with this odd motor :)

Last edited:
Back