Logo

Crusader Overheating Please help!

Liveitwell

Hi,

I have a 1986 Carver 3607 with twin 350 Crusaders. My Starboard engine has been overheating this season under the following conditions...

• Start-up both motors and go for a 30 min boat ride. Temps are fine around 130-140F.
  • Drop the anchor and swim for 2-3 hours
  • Start motor back up and the motor will overheat within 5 mins (just after I have pulled up the anchor)
  • Temp gauge will bounce between 160-180 for a couple of mins and then it will climb to 200 F.
  • Shut motor off and drive back to dock under single engine
  • restart motor for docking, sometimes the motor will run at 130-140F and sometimes it will climb up to 200F during docking?

I have replaced the Starboard side thermostat, the fresh water impeller and temp gauge. My boat has mostly been in fresh water expect for 1 year. So the mechanic removed the exhaust manifold and scrapped out the rust. After all this its still overheating as described above. And I did double check the thermostat temp with a heat gun and it is getting hot as the gauge reads.

I'm out of ideas please help.

Is the engine always idling when the overheating occurs? If so, I would bet you have an air leak on the suction side of the raw water pump. Try tightening each of the hose clamps on the raw water intake hoses between the seacock and the pump.

when was the last time the raw water pump had a thorough overhaul?

You should check the strainer lid, too, while you are under the deck...

and verify this is a raw water cooled engine - no heat exchanger?

I don't think the raw water pump has been overhauled, but the impeller was changed this season, i looked at it and it looked fine. Also the mechanic said it had good flow.

Tonight, I'm planning on testing the water inlet for air leaks, I will check the strainer lid as part of that test.

No heat exchange, the motor is raw water cooled.

Back