Logo

Q-jet choke pull off

jon_allen

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys

I was rebuilding a couple of Marine Q jets recently and noticed that the choke plates don’t have a pull off.

The device which appears to be a pull off, I believe it is called a vacuum break is linked to the secondary air doors.

So my question is: Do these marine Q jets use a choke pull off?

Thank you in advance

Jon Allen

Mine dies, and it's really tricky to get the fool thing working correctly.

I usually let the motor warm up a bit before attempting to put it in gear or she'll stall.

Jeff

Mine dies, and it's really tricky to get the fool thing working correctly.

I usually let the motor warm up a bit before attempting to put it in gear or she'll stall.

Jeff

It is not tricky at all,

Pull vacuum hose off carb, get a longer hose and temporarily replace on diaphram, Suck on hose to seat diaphram. Bend Tang (A) (from my pic in other post forward or backward to set gap for choke butterfly.

Now when starting and vacuum is applied to diaphram the choke will not stay shut

Hi Guys.

Thank you both for the quick reply.

Jack, that is some diagram... Wow..

I never realized that the rod attached to the pull off and secondary air flap had 2 functions.

The vacuum break (choke pull off) also controls the speed in which the secondary air flaps open.

There was a quick acting pull off used on some of GM’s performance cars back in the day.

Probably the greatest carb ever produced.

Thank you both

Jon Allen

Jon,
The choke pull off link rod has NOTHING to do with secondary vacuum or opening of the butterfly plate.
That is controlled by a small spring at the link rod suppirt lication.
There is a very small allen head screw that tightens the adjustment.
I would not touch that until you under stand how it function.

Again, the slotted part the link rod goes thru is only a support for the link rod.

Actually, the choke pull-off linkage will keep the secondary air valves from opening under light loads (high intake manifold vacuum)...

Jack is spot on about the spring controlling the rate the valves open...

Back