Logo

Amount of oil for AQ130

JimA82

Regular Contributor
The manual says 4qts, if I put 4qts in there it would go above the max line on the dip stick. Or my dipstick is going too far down. I looked at some pics of the dipstick, and I am about 99% sure it is the original. But it is missing this sleeve that looks like it slides over the stick? Mine is gone. I have been going with 3.5 and it seems fine.

Shown in the ebay picture.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/418643-Oil-Gauge-Dipstick-Volvo-Penta-AQ130-AQ115-B1-/264637955527

Thoughts? And thanks!

The manual says 4qts, if I put 4qts in there it would go above the max line on the dip stick. Or my dipstick is going too far down. I looked at some pics of the dipstick, and I am about 99% sure it is the original. But it is missing this sleeve that looks like it slides over the stick? Mine is gone.
The dip stick slides into the sleeve.
I would replace the sleeve with the correct part number.

I have been going with 3.5 and it seems fine.
All 4 stroke engines will suspend X amount of oil while operating at cruising RPM.
You do not want to allow the oil pump to starve.

Shown in the ebay picture.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/418643-Oil-Gauge-Dipstick-Volvo-Penta-AQ130-AQ115-B1-/264637955527

Thoughts? And thanks!
Use the OEM recommended amount of engine oil.
Don't forget that the oil filter consumes a certain amount of oil.

Replace the missing sleeve.
If need be, re-mark the dip stick.

Are you 100% sure you're getting all of the old oil out and replacing the filter too. Correct oil level won't appear on dip stick until
engine starts, runs for 30 sec and shuts down for awhile after all new oil is added...

Thanks Ricardo, so I am an idiot I looked at that sleeve the wrong way. The "sleeve" is in the engine block, I was thinking it was a different part in the picture.

@ Sandkicker, yes I am getting all the oil out and replacing the oil filter.

All that said the oil is still turning black after 6 hours or 2 trips on the lake. Read a few things that would cause this, not sure I need to be overly worried about it though?

Back