Logo

Starboard BF200 running colder with high fuel consumption.

Blacktimes

Regular Contributor
Hello guys. My starboard BF200 is consuming about 4 litres an hour more than the port engine. The starboard engine is also running colder, about 10-15°C. Both engines have the same WOT. I changed the starboard engine thermostats (both) with new ones but condition remains the same. No faults on Dr. H or flash code faults. What would be the next suspect, the temp sensor? I undetstand it has three, two for alarms and one for engine control? Does the temp sensor which outputs the temo indication have easy access for replacement? Thanks for any ideas or feedback.

What was the part number of the thermostats you installed, they should be 60 deg C ( 19300-ZY3-023)? The block temp sensor is located in the valley between the cylinder heads, under the intake manifolds, no, not easy to get to.What RPM are you running at to get a difference of 4 lt/hour? 10 deg colder is not cold enough to make it run rich. The next thing I would do is a fuel pressure check, should be 40psi at idle and 45 psi at cruising speed. If your pressure is high it would more than likely be a clogged screen under the fuel pressure regulator, to check that you will need to remove the intake plenum.Start with that and see how you go. Oh,and more importantly, do a compression check and see that the engine is healthy mechanically before you start delving into other things.

Hi Iang, installed thermostats part number are 19300-ZY3-023. The 4 lt/hr difference is apparent from 3200 RPM. I normally run the engines between 3200 & 3600 RPM. I will do the pressure check and let you know. I will also check the temps next time I go to the boat without having run the engines just in case

Hi Iang, so returned to the boat after a couple of days with the sun down in the early morning and starboard engine was still showing lower temo than the port. Long story short, I replaced the starboard Block Temp Sensor and consumption has gone back to normal and is now identical to the port engine consumption. I think the Temp Sensor indicatiin runaway was just enough to throw off the Lean Burn Control. By the way, replacement was a pain in the ass.

Blacktimes - please describe what you did to replace the block temp sensor. I think a lot of 200/225 owners would be interested, including me.

Hi CHawk, opened up bottom covers, removed aft bottom cover frame, removed top and aft air intake chambes and then loosened starboard intake manifold by removing the 4 nuts. It is not possible to remove the port or starboard intake manifolds due to the protruding barrel threads, but with the loose starboard intake manifold and by loosening the map sensor 3P connector I was able to access the temp sensor which is at the top with a combination of long pliers (different angles), crow foot spanner, cardan, a variety of combination spanners and patience. Removing and installing the starboard intake manifold nuts (4) was not easy...

Thanks. That was really innovative. I've always heard you had to remove one of the heads to get to those sensors.

Question: Could you have gotten to the two oil pressure sensors using the same procedure?

I'm not sure, I was barely able to replace the block temp sensor. Maybe by loosening both intake manifolds and bending some tools it would be possible.

You can do the temp sensor and knock sensor but not the oil pressure sensors because they are right in the middle of the valley and recessed.

Back