Logo

Need help

Donzi123

I have a 1996 Donzi 182 with the 4.3 mercruiser. Yesterday, we were on the lake and the boat ran perfect. I was at full throttle and it up and died flat on its face. My obvious reaction was to see if the kill switch,(red toggle), was tripped as to which it was not. I had gas in the tank, so I know that was not it. Stopped the boat and shifted back to neutral and tried cranking it back up. Nothing. Will turn over, but will not start. It acts as if it’s not getting fuel. Any ideas?

Check for spark...if the spark is in good shape, check the fuel supply (if carb'ed does the accelerator pump deliver fuel and if injected, is there adequate fuel pressure?)...

Check for spark...if the spark is in good shape, check the fuel supply (if carb'ed does the accelerator pump deliver fuel and if injected, is there adequate fuel pressure?)...

carb’ed. Have fuel going into it. Spark check is next. Changed fuel/water separator with very minimal water and zero visible contamination.

Does it have a condenser? This seems like classic condenser failure. Having a few cheap spares in the onboard kit can save your day, and more.

Remove a spark plug cable and push the cap end directly into the ignition coil.

Place a known-to-be-good and properly gapped spark plug into the cable's boot.

Give that spark plug good engine contact.

Make sure that no gasoline vapors are present.

Ask a helper to turn the engine over while you look for a robust bluish/whitish spark that give a nice audible "snap".

Yellow spark is weak and will not properly ignite the fuel/air.
Bluish/whitish spark with a snap is good.

Back