Logo

Does anyone know what the idle screw factory setting should be

Joe shook

I am having problems with my 1989 15 hp motor idling. Can anyone tell me how many turns from seated the idle screw should be backed out to start trouble shooting?

Turn it out 1-1/2 turns.---Motor should start and keep running.----Other than picking on the carburetor to start, what other trouble shooting has been done if any ???

Turn it out 1-1/2 turns.---Motor should start and keep running.----Other than picking on the carburetor to start, what other trouble shooting has been done if any ???
Hi Racerone, I got the boat 10 days ago, the first time I had it out it would start easily but wouldn’t stay running for more than 30 seconds unless I could get it in gear fast enough to give it some throttle. A friend At the lake said it sounded like bad gas, so I replaced with rec gas and it helped some. The spark plugs look new and have a light brown color. We took the boat on a week long fishing trip a couple hundred miles away. Once I could get it in gear and some Throttle it runs great. I found out by accident that I can give it choke and have it in gear with slight throttle I could get away from the launch and decrease the choke as it warmed up. It runs great once throttle is opened a little and runs great at full throttle. Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks , Joe

Running lean low speed. If it doesn't smooth out by opening the screw, you may need to open up the carb and clean it thoroughly. I'm working on the same motor right here now.

Back