Logo

Over 3400 rpm oil light off and alarm

ghan1988

Hey everyone i am new to the group.
I have a 2009 Honda 150 hp 4 stroke, i bought the boat with this motor 6 months ago. every time i take it out and run just over 3400 rpm more than 4 minute the oil light goes off, motor bog down and a continuous beep alarm, once i switch motor off and start it back up light come back on and run good as long as i keep it under 3400 rpm. Any help on diagnostics will be well appreciated
Thanks

Has it done this since you bought it or just started. It could be either a high pressure alarm or more like low pressure alarm.Do you have any record of previous work done and service history. The first thing I would do is remove the low oil which is the sensor installed vertically closest to the oil filter and install a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Run the motor at idle (the alarm will go because the sensor is disconnected, ignore it ) and check the oil pressure, it should be around 80psi on a cold engine. Let me know your findings. Do this first before messing around with electrics etc, if you have low oil pressure you want to attend to it before you do irreparable engine damage.

it sat for 3 months before i used it, i dont have any service record/history. I will get a oil pressure gauge and check first, thanks for you input @ iang6766

Back